Thailand Visa Trip Information
This page is designed to help you make the Tourist Visa Trip by yourself to the Thai Consulate, Penang
Changing Requirements – May 2018
To get a 60 day tourist visa now everybody must have;
- A flight out of Thailand showing the price paid
- A rental contract/ hotel reservation for duration of visa with receipt showing price paid
- A bank statement showing the equivalent of 20,000 baht minimum in any currency
- Minimum 20,000 baht cash to show at the border re entering Thailand
Note; Only 100 applications per day are processed so be prepared to spend an extra day or two waiting for you passport to be returned if necessary
You can change THB to MYR at Island Travel.
Ferry & Bus – Take the car ferry/ night boat 21:00 to Surat then minivan to Had Yai, change to big bus for the rest of the trip to Chulia Street, Georgetown, Penang arrives 17:00 (next day).
On Tuesday/ Thursday / Saturday its always Ko Jaroen car ferry, to find out what ferries run on the other days please contact us as the schedule changes.
This “joint” ticket can be bought at Island Travel 1650 baht, we use the bus company called Udomrat Tour” look for their sign when you get off the night boat.
Ferry & Train – Take the afternoon Lomprayah ferry 14:45 to Chumpon then train to Pedang Besar arrives 09:53 next day A/C upper is 1407 baht A/C lower is 1497 baht. From there you can buy train or bus ticket (s) onto Butterworth for Penang.
Ferry & Flight – Since Firefly ceased operating from Samui – Penang in November of 2016 there are currently no direct flights to Penang. Air Asia Surat – KL – Penang is an option, we can book this for you just submit an enquiry through to [email protected]
When to Go – Best to leave Koh Tao on Sat, Sun, Mon or Tue then you won’t get stuck down there for the weekend waiting to get your passport back.
Overstay – If you overstay your visa stamp you must pay at the border 500 baht per day. To avoid overstay leave Koh Tao at the latest the day BEFORE your stamp finishes
i.e if your stamp finishes on the 12th leave Koh Tao on the 11th
- Leave Tao Sat, arrive Sun, go straight to Jim’s, get your pp back on Tue at approx 15:00, leave Penang and arrive back to Tao on Wed
- Leave Tao Sun, arrive Mon, go straight to Jim’s, get your pp back on Wed at approx 15:00, leave Penang and arrive back to Tao on Thu
- Leave Tao Mon, arrive Tue, go straight to Jim’s, get your pp back on Thu at approx 15:00, leave Penang and arrive back to Tao on Fri
- Leave Tao Tue, arrive Wed, go straight to Jim’s, get your pp back on Fri at approx 15:00, leave Penang and arrive back to Tao on Sat
**10/10/2017 Please Note; Update from our agent Jim on the ground in Penang; due to the Royal Thai Consulate General now only issuing maximum 200 visas per day it may be necessary to stay an extra night in Penang, to wait for your passport to be returned.**