Time Needed: 2 days
Cost: From 8,500THB
Maximum Depth: 12 metres
Your Scuba Diver course on Koh Tao is a subset of the Open Water Diver course, and is great for those who want to learn more and become a certified diver, but perhaps do not have enough time or a generous enough budget to take the full certification course. Having a scuba diving license rather than just a certificate from a try diving program is an advantage – especially if you plan on diving more as your travels continue. So this is a great first step towards becoming fully certified.
On your Scuba Diver course on Koh Tao, you’ll learn about the diving environment, dive safety, and dive equipment, including how to set up your own gear and carry out pre-dive safety checks. So you’ll get more in-depth information than on a try diving program, but your academics will not be as comprehensive as on the full Open Water course.
When it comes to getting in the water, you’ll practice a set of skills in a confined water environment (5-6 metres max) either in a swimming pool or out at one of Koh Tao’s beaches and bays. You’ll cover drills like mask and regulator clearing, buoyancy control, safe ascents, and emergency procedures. Your Scuba Diver course on Koh Tao includes two full dives to a maximum of 12 metres, which will take place on one of Koh Tao’s shallow, learner-friendly dive sites. Some of your dive time will be allocated to practising the core skills you’ve already learned in slightly deeper water, but for the most part, you’ll just be enjoying scuba diving! You’re bound to see lots of colourful tropical fish and coral reefs, and stopping after just two dives may be difficult – so don’t be surprised if you end up extending your stay to complete the full Open Water Diver license!
Important things to know when you sign up for a Scuba Diver course on Koh Tao
- The Scuba Diver course is a limited diving certification and does not qualify you to dive independently. If you want to do that, then you need to take the full Open Water Diver certification.
- The minimum age for participation is 10.
- You will be required to wait 18-24 hours after diving before you can fly. So do bear this in mind when you are planning your travel to and from Koh Tao.
- Participation in any scuba diving activity requires you to fill in a medical checklist. Some medical conditions may prevent you from diving, while others require prior written approval from a physician. So be sure to discuss any medical conditions you have with your dive centre before you sign up for your Scuba Diver course on Koh Tao.
- You need to have basic swimming skills to enrol on the Scuba Diver course, so as a prerequisite to beginning training, you may be asked to complete a float test and/or a short swim or snorkel.