Where to buy weed on Koh Tao
Where to Buy Weed on Koh Tao: Cannabis Laws Explained
It’s officially high season on the island – in more ways than one! Since the law changed in July 2022, it is now legal to buy and consume Marijuana on Koh Tao. Those who have visited Thailand in the past may remember the heavy penalties attached to possessing or smoking weed on Koh Tao during their stay – and it used to be something we’d very much recommend against. But these days, you can ‘wake and bake’ all you want – within reason.
And no, it’s not a trap. This is for real! In the last few months, it feels like weed dispensaries on Koh Tao have popped up on every corner, and as long as you know the rules, you can purchase and consume without any penalties. So, what exactly are the rules and how do you know where to buy weed on Koh Tao legally? Here’s everything you need to know.
Thailand/ Koh Tao Marijuana Laws
While buying weed on Koh Tao is now legal, that doesn’t mean that there aren’t any limitations. You still need to be aware of all the do’s and don’ts for buying and smoking weed on Koh Tao so you can stay on the right side of the law.
Buying Weed on Koh Tao
Under current legislation, cannabis dispensaries are permitted to sell:
- Weed that has been legally produced in Thailand.
- Buds and flower containing under 0.2% THC.
- Weed paraphernalia such as smoking papers, bongs, etc.
That may seem pretty straightforward. However, you also need to be aware of what you can’t buy. Because distribution licenses are limited to selling local (ie Thai) weed and paraphernalia, it’s illegal to purchase:
- Any weed products that are directly consumable – like pre-rolled joints, oils, and edibles.
- Marijuana that has been imported from outside Thailand.
Smoking Weed on Koh Tao
Koh Tao dispensaries are not permitted to let customers smoke weed on-site because smoking cannabis in public is not legal. Consumption is only permitted on private premises – like on the balcony of your hotel room or the garden of your Air BnB. That means that smoking on the beach is also a no-go. That doesn’t necessarily mean you won’t see (or more likely smell!) other people doing it. But, bear in mind that across the entire country smoking marijuana in any public space is illegal. Nor are you allowed to smoke weed if you are:
- Under 20
- On the grounds of a school or university
Where to Buy Weed on Koh Tao Legally
The stipulations listed above mean that every Koh Tao dispensary must be properly licensed to sell Thai marijuana products. That includes having all of the relevant paperwork and documents:
- A seller/resellers licence.
- Growing/export licence agreements from their suppliers.
- A letter from a Thailand weed farm stating that they grow legally and allow the supplier to sell their produce.
- A letter from a medical practitioner approving them for selling cannabis on Koh Tao (this should be updated annually).
Not sure whether you’re buying weed on Koh Tao from a licensed cannabis dispensary or not? If the documents listed above are not clearly on display, it’s recommended you ask to see their paperwork.
Where to Buy Weed on Koh Tao: Approved Dispensaries
The legalisation of marijuana in Thailand has created many grey areas for tourists buying weed on Koh Tao. That’s because, in addition to the many cannabis dispensaries, some bars and shops have taken to selling weed products. However, it may not always be clearcut whether some of the responsibility rests with you if you make purchases from an unlicensed seller.
One of the additional caveats of weed laws in Thailand is that cannabis products are not allowed to be advertised online. So, it isn’t always easy to find the information you need. To help you make the most prudent purchases, here is a list of Koh Tao weed dispensaries that we know were fully legal and licensed to sell at the time of writing:
- Phuket High – Sairee
- Florapuff.co – Sairee
- Broccoli – Sairee
- Buds Cannabis Shop – Mae Haad
- SuperMao – Mae Haad
- Canna420 -Mae Haad
Weed on Koh Tao: Summary FAQs
Let’s summarise with a few of our most frequently asked questions:
- Can I buy weed on Koh Tao legally? Yes, provided you stick to purchasing raw materials rather than buying pre-rolled joints, oils, and edibles.
- Is it legal to smoke weed on Koh Tao? Yes, in private. However, smoking in public places is prohibited.
- Where to buy weed on Koh Tao to avoid any legal risks? Making purchases through a properly licensed dispensary is the best way to ensure you’re not crossing any legal lines.
And Of Course, There’s a Disclaimer!
The current weed laws in Thailand are very new and may be subject to frequent reviews and updates. While the information listed here is correct at the time of writing (Feb 2023), we’d always advise you to research carefully, check out the latest legal updates online, and ask around locally for the best advice before buying weed on Koh Tao.